Training & Education
Incident Command System (ICS)
The Incident Command System (ICS) is a standardized, on-scene, all-hazard incident management concept
that allows its users to adopt an integrated organizational structure to match the complexities and demands of single or
multiple incidents without being hindered by jurisdictional boundaries. ICS helps ensure the safety of responders and others,
the achievement of tactical objectives and the efficient use of resources.
The Bureau of Public Health Preparedness (BPHP) uses the ICS processes to systemize weekly operations and assure management by
objective. Use of ICS enables BPHP to focus on its priorities and be aware of its resource constraints. Daily use of ICS also
allows office members to be more comfortable with using ICS in a response.
BPHP focuses on department and state level response plan development, integrating the
Incident Command System (ICS) into ODH response efforts and assuring
that department exercises are compliant with Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP). These efforts are
critical for effective public health emergency response.
Visit the ICS resource center for training
materials, opportunities and reference documents.
- OhioTRAIN is a free learning resource for professionals who protect the public's health
- Through this site, you can:
- Quickly find and register for many courses listed on Train.org and participating TRAIN affiliate sites
- Track your learning with personal online transcripts
- Access valuable materials, course reviews, and discussions to improve your learning experience
- Stay informed of the latest public health trainings for your area or expertise
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC provides training in emergency preparedness response for the public health workforce, healthcare professionals, and
leaders in the public and private sector.
- CDC provides various training for specific types of emergencies
National Preparedness Directorate (FEMA)
- The National Preparedness Directorate (NPD) online Course Catalog provides searchable, integrated information on courses
provided or managed by FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP), Emergency Management Institute (EMI), and National
Training and Education Division (NTED). The online course catalog is now available; however it is still under construction.
- FEMA Training Courses